Finally! I couldn't wait for T-Mobile to send the update OTA. I grabbed it here. Anyway, after the initial reboots and navigation to see what all the fuss was about, I happily ran the battery down playing with the OS.
It honestly feels less like an update and more like a new OS. Here's what's new:
- Onscreen keyboards for all applications that accept input
- Portrait to landscape and vice versa in all apps except the home screen
- More widget support that will enable developers to create cool stuff from the home screen
- Some small changes to the GUI but not enough to change the user experience
- Hopefully better battery life to come...we'll see.
It's truly too bad that this was not v1.0 but I understand because Android had to get into the marketplace first to see if it would be a player against iPhone and BlackBerry. It definitely is and it's only getting better. Android is not being rumored on multiple devices with as many form factors. It will not be constrained by a particular ISP or OEM. It is a viral mobile OS that is free and ready for prime time.
Now the hard part will be waiting for the donut update.....sigh.